Section 2: Objectives of the RHSV Workshop
On a broader scale, RHSVs are a fun and creative way that leads students to:
- greater chance of remaining at school
- greater trust and awareness of healthcare workers in the community
- increased likelihood of accessing healthcare
- an improved understanding of cultural differences
- improved health outcomes.
Every school visit may be challenging and diverse. The group’s aims can be tailored from breaking down barriers for studying at university or TAFE, to encouraging students to stay at school to improve the socioeconomic status of the wider community and pursue health careers in the future.
General objectives may be to:
- foster students’ education and future goals to inspire rural health careers
- expose school students to the multidisciplinary nature of health careers available
- provide opportunities for students to reflect on their personal interests and how these might fit with a career in health
- promote healthy lifestyles and healthy choices to school students
- to provide students with interactive learning experiences with RHC presenters, including the opportunity to ask questions about career pathways and encouragement to stay in school and attain the best possible education.