What is RAHMS?
RAHMS (Rural Allied Health and Medical Society) is the University of New South Wales' student-run organisation for exercise physiology, medical, medical science, optometry, social work, psychology, public health and biomedical engineering students. We are made up of students from both city and country, as well as anyone interested in rural health. Some of us plan to work in rural health while others are just curious.
With over 600 members across 8 different disciplines, RAHMS aims to inform its members about rural and remote health issues, bring together like-minded students from multiple universities, provide positive experiences to promote rural living and working, encourage thinking about rural careers and increase awareness about health concerns facing indigenous Australians.
Why Should I Join?
- Learn - learn more about rural and indigenous health issues and careers in these areas through events such as interesting speakers, generously subsidised trips to rural NSW, plus heaps more!
- Meet - meet health students from rural health clubs around Australia
- Prepare - get a better idea about what studying is like with the UNSW Rural Clinical School in campuses that you may well visit in clinical years in Albury Wodonga, Coffs Harbour, Griffith, Port Macquarie and Wagga Wagga.
- Up to Date - get informed about rural scholarships such as the John Flynn Placement Program, the Rural Australia Medical Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme (RAMUS) and Bush Bursaries. We will also keep you up to date about conventions and conferences; and we can help you with organising placements (allied health too!)
- Support - We can connect you with other people on rural placements and we organise fun activities for our rural campuses. We also provide limited bursaries for rural placemnets, conferences and activites.
- Give Back - join us on a Rural High School Visit to teach and inspire children about the options of studying health at a tertiary level.
Whatever your reasons (even just out of interest), RAHMS warmly invites you to join today so we can email you about our activities.